Sunday, February 1, 2015

Holy Cow.....That's Nick!!!

 


I am really speechless when it comes to writing about see Shaping Sound but I will do my best to put into words how I felt about it.  What is Shaping Sound?  Well, only the most amazing dance company ever!  If you are familiar with my favorite show So You Think You Can Dance then you are familiar with the amazing Travis Wall.  Travis was runner-up on Season 2 of SYTYCD and has since been nominated for Emmy awards for his choreography.  He, Season 1 SYTYCD winner Nick Lazzarini, Teddy Forance and Kyle Robinson formed Shaping Sound together.

I am an avid fan of So You Think You Can Dance and have never missed an episode since it started in 2005.  I am not a dancer but I wish I was.  I teach Zumba© Fitness classes so that’s the closest to dancing I get.  Oh wait; I did take some ballet and jazz classes when I was 25.  I even performed in a recital.  Go me!   But anyway, I love dancing so it is very natural that my favorite show would be all about dance. 

I also am a reality show junkie so when I saw that Travis Wall would be starring in a reality show a couple years ago I was so excited.  All The Right Moves was on Oxygen and thank goodness I still had cable then.  Loved the show!  Got to know all about Travis, Nick, Teddy and Kyle and how Shaping Sound was born.  But then…..nothing.  It was like it just disappeared, at least for me being in the middle of the country anyway. 

But a couple months ago, I was looking at the schedule for the Tulsa Performing Arts Center and what did I see?  Shaping Sound was coming to Tulsa!  I literally jumped up and down!  They did really keep the company going and it wasn't just a pretend thing for a reality show.  I have to go!!!!

You should all know by now how much I love contests.  This event was no different.  Our local newspaper’s entertainment section – Tulsa World Scene – ran a Facebook contest to win tickets and a meet and greet with Travis Wall.  You better believe I was in!  All you had to do was do a short video of why you want to meet Travis.  Well that’s easy….because he’s amazing!  So I entered the video and waited a couple days.  I kept checking back to see how many people had entered.  Only 3 videos, but one was a 6 year old little girl.  Crap!  I can’t compete with cuteness like that!  But they ended up giving all 3 of us tickets.  Thank you Tulsa World!

So Renee went with me that night.  She was a dancer, teaches Zumba, and is also a big fan of SYTYCD and Travis Wall.  Our seats were amazing – orchestra level, dead center about half way back in the theater.  She wasn't familiar with the show All The Right Moves but did know who Nick was from SYTYCD.  I filled her in a little about it and then the show started.




This is where I become speechless!  There are a lot of words to describe this performance but really only one word truly described my experience – MESMERIZING!  I literally caught myself not breathing with my mouth hanging open just motionless as I was drawn into the story.  I’m even shaking a bit as I I’m writing this and remembering how incredible it was.

I’m not going to try to tell you the whole story but what I can tell you is that it was absolutely clear what they were trying to say yet not a single word was uttered.  Over all it was a love story that had soft moments, intense moments, fun and upbeat moments and you rode that roller coaster up and down every hill and around every curve as if you were experiencing it all yourself.  I distinctly remember one part where the main couple was fighting and I felt that tension through my whole body.  I was literally on the edge of my seat waiting to see what was going to happen. 

I have been to a lot of shows in my life and there is always a part of the show that is kind of a lull; parts where you get a little bored and are ready for it to move on to the next part.  I can honestly say that in this show that never happened!  It kept your attention the entire time and you never wanted to look away because you didn't want to miss anything.

My favorite number was when the men came out and danced to “Bohemian Rhapsody” by Queen.  It was clearly an audience favorite too as the crowd whooped and hollered as they danced.  The lighting was perfect and followed the beats of the song at times.  It was strong yet comical at times.  Just a whole combination of talent in the strength of the dancing and the choreography put together.

Now, I need to talk about Nick Lazzarini for a minute.  I knew him from SYTYCD and ATRM and had even voted for him on Season 1 when he won.  He stole that show!  There was so much talent on that stage but let me tell you that when he stepped on stage you couldn't look at anyone else.  The immense joy on his face showed that he loved every minute of what he was doing.  His passion for dance is incredible on top of the fact that he is just an amazing dancer.  At one point Renee leaned over and said “I am really loving Nick!”  I said “I was thinking the exact same thing!”

The rest of the cast was incredible too.  Jaimie Goodwin, who was also on SYTYCD, danced the lead role.  She was spectacular and could mold her body into shapes you didn't think were possible yet just sit on top of a wall with her back turned to you like a statue and you were still breathless watching her just sit there.   



Renee’s favorite number was danced by Chelsea Thedinga and Daniel Gaymon.  It was beautiful.  As the curtain came down the first thing I said was “Can we watch it again?”  I really did not want it to end.

After the show was over the whole cast goes out to the lobby to meet the fans.  But, since we won the contest, we got to stay in the theater and the cast came out to meet with us first.  How exciting!  We just thought we were going to get to meet Travis.  But instead we got to meet all of them….even Nick!

As they started coming out to meet us, all we could think was Holy Cow….that’s Nick! 




We were extremely excited to talk to them all and they were all so nice.  They were all big huggers and they meant those hugs!  It was so nice to see that they genuinely wanted to talk to us and were so gracious to take pictures with everyone and sign our programs.  I particularly like the Kyle and Teddy sandwich!  






We even took a picture with Nikole, the producer.  She was a sweetheart. We heard over and over how nice the theater was and how great the programs were that had their picture on the cover.  I love our Tulsa PAC!



As we left, we giggled like schoolgirls about what just happened and that we didn't have to fight the crowds to get our pictures.  We had even joked with some of the cast that we could be their groupies, follow the tour bus and see it again the next night in Kansas City.  I would truly go see that show over and over and if it comes anywhere near you, you have to go see it.  And while you are there say hi to Nick from Shannon and Renee in Tulsa!

No comments:

Post a Comment