Sunday, January 11, 2015

Josh Groban - Part 1


Although I have always enjoyed music and concerts, it’s only been in the last year or so that I have really become obsessed.  It really all started with a Josh Groban concert in November 2013.  Yes, I said Josh Groban.

Now, before I continue, I need you all to realize my love for all things JG.  Let me take you back to 2001.  I saw this guy on Ally McBeal and loved his voice.  Then one night I had insomnia so I went in to watch TV.  I was flipping channels and came across a music video (when they still played music videos on TV) by this guy who I recognized and had this amazing voice.  But it was too late in the video to see his name.  It was the beginning of learning to “google” things.  I tried to find who this person was.  “Curly-haired opera singer” was all I could come up with.  Of course it didn't work.  

So, I find myself in the mall one day and I walked past the music store.  Again, this was back when they still had music stores.  I thought I would go in and just look around and see if I could find his CD even though I had no idea his name.  No luck.  Several weeks later I was back in the mall and I decided to check again.  I looked at every CD in that place.  And what did I find?  You guessed it - that curly-haired guy right on the front of a CD jacket.  I FOUND HIM!!!!!

I spent the next I don’t know how long wearing out that CD. I listened to it over and over.  My poor husband thought I had gone nuts!  And since then I have bought every CD or DVD he has made – most of them the deluxe editions – and have seen every special he has been in.  I couldn't wait for him to tour so I could go see him.  And of course I became a Grobanite – a member of his fan club.

We traveled to Dallas for the 1st and 2nd tours.  For the 2nd tour I got floor seats and I thought they wouldn't be so great until the usher said JG would be walking right by us.  I thought I was going to die!  My MIL is my concert buddy for all his concerts and she took video as he walked past us singing.  I reached out my hand and he shook it.  However, he was not looking at me.  I couldn't have that, so I held on until he looked my way.  My husband still jokes to this day that I tried to rip his arm off.  You will see about half way through the video when he turns around and looks at me as like "let go please".  LOL  I was on cloud nine for days!!!



We saw him in Oklahoma City for the next tour.  Then in 2011 I saw him 3 times in 1 week.  I told you I was a bit obsessive!  Here’s how that came about.  He announced he was going to Dallas.  Well, I couldn't be sure he would come any closer so I bought tickets.  Then the next week he announces Tulsa – my home town!  I was so excited!  I got 12th row seats for that show.  I thought for sure I could just sell my Dallas tickets. 

As I mentioned before I am a member of the fan club.  That means I get to purchase tickets before they go on sale to the public.  And that also means I have to physically pick up my tickets in Dallas at the venue the day of the show.  OK then, I guess we will just have to go to Dallas on Monday and Tulsa on Thursday.  If I have to drive 4.5 hours to Dallas to pick up the tickets anyway I’m going to the concert!  And I wasn't giving up my 12th row tickets in Tulsa! 

So that’s what we did - Dallas Monday night and Tulsa Thursday night.  They were both such amazing shows that I just couldn't stop.  So that Saturday I was at my friend’s house doing a garage sale, talking to her about how amazing the shows were, and I decide to find out where he was going to play next.  Could it really be Wichita?  Only 3 hours away?!?  So then my obsession forces me to look on Craigslist.  What?  Someone is selling 2 6th row tickets for $50 each for that night?  I have to go!!!!  I called up my husband – who has refused to ever go to a JG concert with me – and begged for him to go with me to Wichita.  He reluctantly agreed and in 2 hours we were packed and off – thanks to my MIL who agreed to watch the kids.  For the record he actually enjoyed the concert….although he may not admit it to anyone else.

So, seeing Josh 3 times in one week for the same concert was a major concert highlight in my life until….



……..To be continued

No comments:

Post a Comment